Rogers Gutters & Exteriors is family owned and operated, proudly serving Central Georgia. Our years of experience allow us to manage roofing projects in the most expert manner to best display, enhance, and protect your structure. We only select and use the highest grade materials to ensure superlative performance and the prolonged life of your structure. The materials we use are sourced from reliable and trusted manufacturers which guarantee quality results. Whether you need a complete roof installation or simply a minor roof repair, we provide premier services to fit within your budget. Our exhaustive knowledge of roof repair has enabled us to cater to all your roofing requirements.
Composition roofing shingles come in a large selection of types, brands and colors. Versatile, they adapt easily to different applications. They require low maintenance and can be walked on without damaging the material.
ADVANTAGES OF A COMPOSITION SHINGLE ROOF
- Durability: A Composition shingle roof is not easily damaged by weather variations and the design does not allow for moisture buildup.
- Aesthetics: With a composition shingle roof, you have an array of designs and colors to suit your style and enhance the beauty of your home. Although lightweight, their weight carrying capacity is high and you can walk on them without any noise.
- Low maintenance cost: Once the structure is set and all the shingles are well seated, composition shingle roofs require very little by way of maintenance as they remain solid through rain or shine. Cracked or broken shingles may come as a result of a storm at the early stages, but these can be easily replaced without affecting the entire roofing structure.
The first decision homeowners make is whether to use basic three-tab shingles, or upgrade to an architectural style shingle. There are significant differences between these two types of shingles.
WHAT ARE THREE-TAB SHINGLES?
Basic three-tab asphalt shingles are widely used and provide solid performance at a budget-friendly price point. In this type of asphalt roofing material, each shingle is cut into three equal-sized “tabs”—the exposed portion of the shingle that you can see once it is installed. Every shingle is identical in size, shape and thickness, resulting in a uniform appearance.
WHAT ARE ARCHITECTURAL SHINGLES?
Architectural shingles, sometimes called dimensional shingles or laminate shingles, are visually distinctive and give a more sophisticated appearance to the roof. This shingle is not cut into tabs, but has pieces of additional asphalt in varying widths laminated to the shingle with an asphalt sealant. This creates an intentional variation in thickness and color shading, which mimics the irregular shadows and random sizes that are characteristic of a wood shake or slate roof. Architectural shingles are thicker, and can weigh 50% more than 3-tab shingles.
THE PROS AND CONS OF THREE-TAB AND ARCHITECTURAL SHINGLES
- Both types of shingles are available in an array of colors to complement your home. However, due to the way architectural shingles are manufactured, they come in a wider variety of shading, texture, and shape options.
- A three-tab shingle roof can look flat and featureless due to the uniform nature of the shingles. Most people find architectural shingles more visually appealing than three-tab shingles, which improves a home’s curb appeal.
- Aesthetically, architectural shingles can resemble the appearance of premium materials like cedar or slate, which is appealing when an upscale look is desired.
- Because they are thicker, architectural shingles are less likely to curl than three-tab shingles.
- Most three-tab shingles are only warrantied to handle wind speeds up to 60 miles per hour. In contrast, architectural shingles are often warrantied for winds as high as 110 mph with standard installation; and even as high as 130 mph if special installation procedures and materials are used.
- A standard grade three-tab asphalt shingle roof is likely to need replacement after 15-20 years, but the additional thickness of architectural shingles makes them considerably more durable. An architectural shingled roof can be expected to last about 50% longer than a three-tab shingled roof.
- Most three-tab shingles only carry a 20-25 year limited warranty from the manufacturer, whereas architectural shingles may be warrantied for 40 years, 50 years, or even carry a Lifetime warranty. (Warranty terms vary by manufacturer, product line, and installation procedures followed.)
- Three-tab shingles cost less than architectural shingles, and therefore are often used on lower-value homes, or when budget is a concern.
- In general, architectural shingles may cost about 25% more than 3-tab shingles, but they are considered the standard for higher-end homes.
- Due to their quality, look and desirability, architectural shingles may the best type of shingle to use if you want to increase the resale value of your home.
There is growing list of reasons for the expanding use of metal in residential construction. Leading the list is the tremendous variety of exciting shapes and colors that today’s products offer. In addition to these aesthetic advantages, modern metal residential roofing is easily installed and offers longevity, energy savings and exceptional durability, even under extreme weather conditions. Below are some common questions and answers regarding the use of metal in residential construction.
Advantages of Metal Roofing
- Doesn’t rot, crack, warp, curl, split, break, or blow off.
- Metal roofing is the most resistant roofing material to hail, wind, or fire.
- Lightweight – most styles are less than one-third the weight of asphalt/fiberglass shingles and tiles.
- Energy efficient – can lower your cooling and heating costs.
- Can reduce the cost of your homeowner’s insurance.
- Can be installed over your existing roof.
- Save the expense of shingle removal.
QUICKLY CONTACT US
At Rogers Gutters and Exteriors we endeavor to answer all inquiries within 24 hours on business days.
We are proud to serve all of Middle Georgia and South Atlanta.
337 Carl Vinson Parkway
Warner Robins, Ga 31088